Are you experiencing an error related to the VCRUNTIME140.DLL file when attempting to launch an application? No need to worry, as you’re not alone.
The VCRUNTIME140.DLL file is associated with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package and can become missing or corrupted, resulting in such errors.
Fortunately, several quick and effective solutions are available to help you resolve this issue and get your application running smoothly once more.
In this article, we will explore seven solutions that can assist you in fixing the VCRUNTIME140.DLL error.
What is the VCRUNTIME140.DLL error?
Encountering a VCRUNTIME140.DLL error can be frustrating, as it prevents your application from launching.
However, you can take advantage of the following solutions to quickly resolve the issue and restore the functionality of your application.
1: Check for System Updates
Ensuring that your operating system is up to date is crucial for optimal performance and compatibility with various software applications.
To check for system updates in Windows, you can follow these simple steps:
- Open the Settings menu by pressing the Windows key + I.
- Click on “Update & Security.”
- Select “Windows Update” from the left sidebar.
- Click “Check for updates” and allow the system to scan for available updates.
- If any updates are found, click “Download and install” to initiate the installation process.
2: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
The VCRUNTIME140.DLL error is often associated with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. Reinstalling this package can help resolve any issues related to the DLL file. Follow the steps below to reinstall the package:
- Visit the Microsoft Download Center website.
- Search for the appropriate version of “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.”
- Download the package that matches your system specifications.
- Run the downloaded installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reinstallation process.
3: Repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
If reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package did not resolve the VCRUNTIME140.DLL error, you can attempt to repair it. Follow the instructions below to repair the package:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “appwiz. cpl” and press Enter to open the Programs and Features window.
- Scroll through the list of installed programs and locate the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- Right-click on the package and choose “Change” or “Repair,” depending on the available options.
- Follow the on-screen instructions carefully to complete the repair process.
4: Update Device Drivers
Outdated or incompatible device drivers can sometimes trigger DLL errors. To ensure that your device drivers are up to date, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + X and select “Device Manager” from the menu.
- Expand the categories to locate the device drivers that require updating.
- Right-click on a device driver and select “Update driver.”
- Choose the option to search automatically for updated driver software.
- Repeat this process for all the device drivers that need to be updated.
5: Perform a System File Check
DLL errors can also be caused by system file corruption. Performing a system file check can help identify and repair any corrupted files. Follow these steps to perform a system file check:
- Press the Windows key + X and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
- Type “sfc /scannow” in the Command Prompt window and press Enter.
- Wait for the system file check to complete. This process may take some time.
- If any corrupted files are found, the system will attempt to repair them automatically.
6: Run a Virus Scan
Malware or viruses on your system can also lead to DLL errors. Running a thorough virus scan can help detect and remove any malicious software. Here’s how you can run a virus scan:
- Install reliable antivirus software if you haven’t already done so.
- Update the antivirus software with the latest virus definitions.
- Perform a comprehensive system scan and allow the antivirus software to detect and remove any identified threats.
Encountering a VCRUNTIME140.DLL error can be frustrating, but following the solutions mentioned in this article, you should be able to resolve the issue effectively.
Remember to check for system updates, reinstall or repair the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, update your device drivers, perform a system file check, and run a virus scan.
By following these steps, you can restore the proper functionality of your application.
Q1. What is the VCRUNTIME140.DLL file?
The VCRUNTIME140.DLL file is a dynamic link library associated with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. It is essential for the proper functioning of specific applications.
Q2. Why am I receiving a VCRUNTIME140.DLL error?
You may encounter a VCRUNTIME140.DLL error if the DLL file is missing or corrupted. It can also occur due to outdated device drivers, system file corruption, or malware infections.
Q3. Can reinstalling the affected application fix the VCRUNTIME140.DLL error?
Reinstalling the affected application may not always resolve the VCRUNTIME140.DLL error. Following the solutions mentioned in this article, a comprehensive fix is recommended.
Q4. How frequently should I update my device drivers?
It is advisable to regularly update your device drivers, mainly when new updates are available. This process ensures compatibility, stability, and optimal performance for your system.
Q5. Can I run a virus scan if I already have antivirus software installed?
Yes, it is essential to perform regular virus scans even if you have antivirus software installed. New threats emerge regularly, and conducting scans helps maintain the security of your system.