If you’ve encountered the Xinput1_3.dll is missing error in Windows 10, don’t worry – you’re not alone. This error message usually pops up when trying to launch a program or game that relies on DirectX. In this article, we will walk you through the process of understanding and fixing the Xinput1_3.dll error, with different methods ranging from simple to advanced. We’ll also share tips on preventing future occurrences of this error.
Understanding the Xinput1_3.dll Error
Before diving into the solutions, let’s take a closer look at what the Xinput1_3.dll error actually means and why it occurs.
The Xinput1_3.dll error is a common issue that many computer users encounter when trying to run certain programs or games. This error message typically indicates that there is a problem with the Xinput1_3.dll file, which is a dynamic link library associated with Microsoft DirectX. Understanding the nature of this error can help you troubleshoot and resolve the issue more effectively.
What is Xinput1_3.dll?
Xinput1_3.dll is a dynamic link library file associated with Microsoft DirectX. It contains functions and codes that allow programs to communicate with input devices, such as game controllers and joysticks. This file is crucial for the proper functioning of games and other applications that rely on DirectX for input device support.
When a program or game requires the Xinput1_3.dll file, it will attempt to locate and load it into memory. If the file is missing, corrupted, or incompatible with the version of DirectX installed on your system, you may encounter the Xinput1_3.dll error.
Common Causes of the Xinput1_3.dll Error
There are several reasons why you may encounter the Xinput1_3.dll error. Here are some of the most common causes:
- The Xinput1_3.dll file is missing or corrupted.
- Your DirectX installation is outdated.
- The program you’re trying to run is not compatible with your version of DirectX.
- Your system is infected with malware or viruses.
One of the primary reasons for the Xinput1_3.dll error is a missing or corrupted file. This can happen due to various factors, such as accidental deletion, software conflicts, or malware infections. When the required Xinput1_3.dll file is not present or damaged, the program or game that relies on it will fail to run properly.
Another common cause of the Xinput1_3.dll error is an outdated DirectX installation. DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) developed by Microsoft to handle multimedia tasks, including graphics and audio processing. If you have an older version of DirectX installed on your system, it may not be compatible with the program or game that requires the Xinput1_3.dll file, resulting in the error.
In some cases, the Xinput1_3.dll error can occur if the program or game you’re trying to run is not compatible with your version of DirectX. Different versions of DirectX may have different requirements and capabilities. If the program or game was designed for a newer version of DirectX than what you have installed, it may trigger the Xinput1_3.dll error.
Malware or virus infections can also lead to the Xinput1_3.dll error. Some malicious software may target system files, including DLL files like Xinput1_3.dll, and modify or delete them. This can cause various issues, including the Xinput1_3.dll error. It’s important to regularly scan your system for malware and keep your antivirus software up to date to prevent such infections.
Preliminary Steps Before Fixing the Error
Checking the Recycle Bin
It may sound simple, but sometimes the Xinput1_3.dll file gets accidentally deleted and ends up in the Recycle Bin. Here’s what you can do:
- Open the Recycle Bin by double-clicking on its icon on the desktop.
- Search for the Xinput1_3.dll file using the search bar or by scrolling through the files.
- If you find the Xinput1_3.dll file, right-click on it, and click “Restore” to return it to its original location.
When files are deleted from your computer, they are often moved to the Recycle Bin instead of being permanently deleted. This is a safety measure to prevent accidental deletion and allows users to easily restore files if needed. Therefore, it is always a good idea to check the Recycle Bin first when encountering missing files or errors.
By opening the Recycle Bin and searching for the Xinput1_3.dll file, you can determine if it was accidentally deleted and is still recoverable. The search bar within the Recycle Bin makes it convenient to locate specific files, or you can manually scroll through the list of deleted items.
If you happen to find the Xinput1_3.dll file in the Recycle Bin, you can restore it to its original location by right-clicking on the file and selecting the “Restore” option. This action will move the file back to its original directory, resolving any issues caused by its absence.
Running a Malware Scan
Malware or viruses on your system can cause various errors, including the Xinput1_3.dll error. Perform a thorough scan using your preferred antivirus software to eliminate any potential threats.
Malicious software, commonly known as malware, can wreak havoc on your computer system. It can alter or corrupt essential files, leading to errors and malfunctions. The Xinput1_3.dll error could be a result of malware infecting your system and interfering with the proper functioning of the file.
To ensure that your computer is free from malware, it is crucial to run a comprehensive scan using reliable antivirus software. This scan will detect and remove any malicious programs that may be causing the Xinput1_3.dll error or other issues on your system.
When running a malware scan, make sure to use an up-to-date antivirus program that is capable of detecting a wide range of threats. It is recommended to perform a full system scan rather than a quick scan to thoroughly examine all files and directories on your computer.
Once the scan is complete, the antivirus software will provide a report detailing any threats found. If any malware is detected, follow the recommended actions provided by the antivirus program to remove the threats and protect your system.
Different Methods to Fix the Xinput1_3.dll Error
The Xinput1_3.dll error can be quite frustrating, especially when it prevents you from launching a specific program. Fortunately, there are several methods you can try to resolve this issue. In this article, we will explore three different methods that have been proven to be effective in fixing the Xinput1_3.dll error.
Method 1: Reinstalling the Program
One of the simplest ways to fix the Xinput1_3.dll error is by reinstalling the program that is causing the issue. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the Control Panel on your computer and navigate to the “Programs” or “Programs and Features” section.
- Locate the program that is causing the Xinput1_3.dll error in the list of installed programs.
- Right-click on the program and select “Uninstall” from the context menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once the program is successfully uninstalled, download the latest version of the program from the official website or a trusted source.
- Install the program and check if the Xinput1_3.dll error persists.
By reinstalling the program, you are essentially replacing any corrupted or missing files that may be causing the Xinput1_3.dll error. This method is particularly effective if the error occurs only when launching a specific program.
Method 2: Updating Windows
Another common cause of the Xinput1_3.dll error is outdated or incompatible system files. Updating your Windows operating system can help resolve compatibility issues and ensure that you have the latest version of DirectX, which is required by many programs. Here’s how you can update Windows:
- Open the Windows Start menu and click on the “Settings” gear icon.
- In the Settings menu, select “Update & Security.”
- Click on “Windows Update” in the left sidebar.
- Click on the “Check for updates” button and wait while Windows searches for available updates.
- If updates are found, click on “Download” and follow the on-screen instructions to install them.
- Once the updates are installed, restart your computer to apply the changes.
Updating Windows not only ensures that you have the latest security patches but also updates system files that may be related to the Xinput1_3.dll error. This method is recommended if you are experiencing the error across multiple programs or if you suspect that your system files are outdated.
Method 3: Installing DirectX End-User Runtimes
If you are running an older version of DirectX or suspect that your DirectX installation is incomplete, installing DirectX End-User Runtimes might resolve the Xinput1_3.dll error. Here’s how you can do it:
- Visit the official Microsoft website and search for “DirectX End-User Runtimes.”
- Download the latest version of DirectX End-User Runtimes suitable for your operating system.
- Double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Once the installation is finished, restart your computer to apply the changes.
DirectX End-User Runtimes provide additional components and updates for DirectX, which can help resolve compatibility issues and ensure that your DirectX installation is complete. This method is recommended if you suspect that the Xinput1_3.dll error is directly related to your DirectX installation.
In conclusion, the Xinput1_3.dll error can be fixed by reinstalling the program, updating Windows, or installing DirectX End-User Runtimes. By following these methods, you can effectively resolve the error and get back to using your favorite programs without any issues.
Advanced Solutions for the Xinput1_3.dll Error
The Xinput1_3.dll error is a common issue that can occur when the Xinput1_3.dll file is not registered correctly or when there are conflicts with system configurations or recently installed software. Fortunately, there are advanced solutions available to help resolve this error.
Manually Registering Xinput1_3.dll Using Microsoft Register Server
If the Xinput1_3.dll file is present but not registered correctly, manually registering it using the Microsoft Register Server might help. This process ensures that the necessary dependencies and registry entries are properly set up. Follow these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt as an administrator. You can do this by searching for “Command Prompt” in the Start menu, right-clicking on it, and selecting “Run as administrator.”
- Type the following command and press Enter:
- If the registration is successful, you should see a confirmation message. This indicates that the Xinput1_3.dll file has been registered correctly.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes and check if the Xinput1_3.dll error is resolved.
Manually registering the Xinput1_3.dll file can often fix any issues related to its registration. However, if the error persists, you may need to explore other solutions.
Performing a System Restore
If you recently made changes to your system configuration or installed new software before encountering the Xinput1_3.dll error, performing a system restore can revert your system back to a previous state where the error was not present. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Windows Start menu and search for “System Restore.”
- Select “Create a restore point” from the search results. This will open the System Properties window.
- In the System Properties window, click on the “System Restore” button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to choose a restore point before the Xinput1_3.dll error occurred. System restore points are created automatically when significant changes are made to your system, such as installing new software or drivers.
- Start the system restore process and wait for it to complete. This may take some time depending on the size of your system and the restore point selected.
- After the system restore is complete, your computer will restart. Check if the Xinput1_3.dll error is resolved.
System restore can be a powerful tool in resolving various system errors, including the Xinput1_3.dll error. It allows you to roll back your system to a previous state, effectively undoing any changes that may have caused the error to occur.
Remember to create regular system restore points to have a fallback option in case of future errors or issues. Additionally, it’s always a good practice to keep your system and software up to date to prevent potential conflicts and errors.
Preventing Future Xinput1_3.dll Errors
Regular System Maintenance
Keeping your system clean and well-maintained can help prevent various errors, including the Xinput1_3.dll error. Here are some maintenance tasks you can perform regularly:
- Remove unnecessary files and programs using disk cleanup tools.
- Defragment your hard drive to optimize file storage.
- Update your antivirus software and perform regular scans.
- Keep your device drivers up-to-date to ensure compatibility.
Keeping Software Up-to-Date
Keeping your software, especially DirectX, up-to-date is crucial to avoid compatibility issues and potential errors. Enable automatic updates whenever possible or periodically check for updates manually.
By understanding the Xinput1_3.dll error and following the troubleshooting steps provided in this guide, you should be able to fix the error and prevent it from happening again. Remember to always take precautionary measures and keep your system up-to-date to ensure optimal performance and compatibility.